Tuesday, September 21, 2010

After the Weekend

The weekend on the FrontPage of TPB is over and I am overwhelmed. Thanks everyone for the comments, the mails (I’m working on it, and eventually I will answer them all) and most of all; thanks for sharing the film. Die Beauty is a different film. Or like someone said; “Die Beauty is a quiet, slightly surreal, and slightly upsetting psychological, um, thriller? Anyway, the cinematography is beautiful and the plot is very enigmatic. It's a film that keeps you guessing, but never gives any answers.” Without TPB this film would live a very quiet life and soon (if not already) it would be forgotten. Instead people are discussing not only the film it self, but also the phenomenon, the unusual way of distribution and the film being a low budget independent film.

I’ve received a lot of questions about how Die Beauty came to life, and I will try to answer some of your questions below:

The summer of 2005 I moved back to my home village in Värmland, Sweden. I was determined to make my first feature. So I started slowly. One step at the time. Always hoping for some financial support. If we just finish the script… If we gather the team and all the actors. If we just make a plan for the shooting of the film. Eventually we had put so much love, work and stubbornness into the Die Beauty-project – it was impossible to let go. So one day, we made the decision to shoot the film, with or without financial support. The local film fond Film i Värmland and Stiftelsen framtidens Kultur helped us with the cash you really, really need (to pay food and transport). But besides that the crew and the actors (more or less 50 people) worked hard on their free time to shoot this film. We had 15 000 euros in cash. We had Mediamente arranging companies in Oslo to provide the camera and technical equipment etc, and we had a whole village that decided to help us and support us in every way they could, cooking, driving and lending us their houses. We had the acting girls that worked so hard without complaining about anything. After a beautiful summer, when the rain poured only when the rain was supposed to be pouring I thought: If we just edit the film someone might actually want to show it? Nope. It’s a tough business.

So came the day when my friend Yvonne told me about the fantastic Bio Rio in Stockholm. They are working hard to release films that (of many different reasons) have a hard time finding distribution. And the day after that I bumped in to Hanna Sköld and she told me the story of her independent film Nasty Old People. She had screenings at Bio Rio and at the same time she had the film released on The Pirate Bay. I instantly loved that idea. Sharing has always been an obvious thing to do but I didn’t have a plan or a strategy to make it visible. When it was clear that TPB would let me have a weekend on their FrontPage I was speechless. This was the best thing that could happen to Die Beauty.

Thanks to Hanna and The Pirate Bay the film is out there. It will be out there tomorrow and the day after that.

3 comments:

  1. I just seen it and really really enjoyed. Very melancholy and memorable and bittersweet. Quite a unique film and the first foreign "artsy" effort I've not been inclined to fast-forward through.

    I really wish this success and hope to see an update on all the actors someday. The women were all so pretty, and surely those girls are all becoming foxes now too, lol.
    And hey the dudes are all fine in their roles and believable. That strange Coroner guy did make me nervous though, and I've a feeling his Stepford daughter will have him in the river soon.
    This deserves to be listed at IMDB.com, for I like it better than "Fargo" that won the Oscar in 1996

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though it was chilling how the young narrator girl says, "In Sweden people don't die from hunger; they find other ways to die..." But this is not a cold movie. In fact I spewed a mouth-full of beer when that one clod husband thinks he'll stay another night and screw the wife if she'll make good on the tandoori chicken

    I wasn't offended at all about the somewhat chubby girl and the comments by her ass father, and she was quite a... sport about it and her oblivious "screw you" attitude was funny and priceless. But understand that in America there'd likely be ass reviewers that'd raise overwrought flags about that just as they do with the "nigger" word over here.

    This film needs to be on the message boards and forums of big popular blogs and chat rooms. For I am just a lonely voice here at LiveJournal aand Facebookthat nobody visits :-(
    They should leave it on TPB front page longer! It was the first and nothing took its place afterward. What was the rush to hustle it off after a mere 48 hours or so? And sadly TPB was suffering temporary outages I believe throughout your run-- probably enacted by the same sorts that refused you even the most meager of a theater distribution package for Die Beauty.

    I'm not sure what I'd expected from Sweden images other than cold and Bjorn Borg. And it was surprising to me that this looks much like Summer in rural mid America and not at all a miserable permafrost prison.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for spreading the word about Die Beauty! It was so nice to see your comment on TPB. In a way it was good that it wasn't on the frontpage for too long, the spreading seems to have a nice rhythm now, and I think the film slowly but surely will find it's way to the right people..
    Best regards Stina

    ReplyDelete